Laboratory Researcher IV, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
The Pinsky Lab in the Department of Ecology, Evolution, and Natural
Resources is searching for an organized, enthusiastic, and skilled
individual to work as a population genomics technician in our new
research lab. We use population genetics and genomics to study the
ecology, evolution, and conservation of marine species around the
The technician will assist the PI in managing the lab and conducting
research. Specific duties will include ordering and maintaining
equipment and supplies, processing genetic samples, preparing DNA and
RNA libraries for genotyping and next-generation sequencing,
performing basic data analysis, training students, and maintaining an
organized, safe, and productive laboratory environment. We offer an
exciting and interdisciplinary work environment, opportunities to be
involved in a wide range of ecological and evolutionary projects, and
the potential for co-authorship on scientific manuscripts.
– A bachelor’s degree in a related scientific field or an equivalent
combination of education and relevant experience in population
genetics, molecular biology, or molecular ecology
– Experience preparing reagents/buffers, gel electrophoresis, and PCR
– Exceptional organizational skills and strong ability to accomplish
– Ability to master detailed laboratory procedures
– Excellent communication and computer skills
– The ability to lift at least thirty pounds
– Previous experience working in a lab performing next-generation
sequencing, particularly on the Illumina platform
– Familiarity with scientific computing languages such as R, MATLAB,
Python, or Perl
– Knowledge of marine biology or ecology
– Master’s degree in a related scientific field will be
To apply, please visit the Rutgers University Jobs website
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact
information for three (3) references. Please highlight your previous
experience in the laboratory. Applications are due by September 18.
Interviews will occur in late September, and the position will ideally
begin in October.
This is a full-time position, initially appointed for a period of 12
months at a yearly salary of $39,229 – $44,000 (depending on
qualifications), plus benefits. The position can be extended for at
least one year depending on performance.
More information about the Pinsky lab can be found at
(email@example.com) if you have any questions.